Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Entering the Cut Phase

I starting cutting two days ago, on Monday. It's a hard process. I
rarely make it all the way through, but it's not an all-or-nothing
situation, so I still make some progress.

I've been trying to follow a two month gainer cycle followed by a
month-long cut cycle. The gain cycle has generally not worked as well
as I wanted, and I lost fat during that period. Optimally, I should
gain a very little fat and a lot of muscle. The fact that I'm losing
fat means that I'm not eating enough and therefore not gaining all the
muscle that I could be. The cut cycle should keep most of my muscle
and lose a lot of fat. I rarely complete it, though, because I'm not
good at diets -- That's the main reason I lift in the first place. I
don't want to diet, so I increase muscle mass and my metabolism
instead.

Anyway, This time I'm going on an Atkins-style super low carb diet for
four weeks. No bacon or anything, just eggs and meat and lots of
greens. The first couple of days have been torture. My sugar has been
so low that I'm a walking zombie. I tried this diet a couple of times
before, but never made it past three days. I think I've finally turned
the corner, though. Today I feel significantly better than yesterday.
My bike ride to work wasn't torture. I don't feel like I'm going to
pass out at the keyboard. I hope that I can make this cut phase work
successfully this time.

No comments: